Skip to main content

Hindustani Classical Music

Hindustani Classical Music is one of the oldest styles of music in the world. It originated in the Northern part of India, and is still sung today.

Personal Connection: I have been learning Hindustani Classical Music since the age of 4. It is one of the best ways to keep a connection to my Indian culture. Taking out a little time as often as I can to practice it would clear my mind and allow me to just focus in the moment. It gave me a chance to take a break from everything else.  Currently I am in my 5th year of learning it even though I have been learning for almost 8 years. To learn more difficult and challenging ragas I have to take an exam to show how well I know previous ragas and information about music. My theory part consists of learning about the origins of this type of music, along with its founders and those who have spread it. The style of music is devoted to the god Saraswati who is the god of music. Another part of theory is knowing key words, that help with information of the raga. Each raga gives its own feel and whether it should be sung during a certain phase of the day or night.  Each raga has its own characteristics that help define it. A raga example is Rag Malhar. Supposedly when this rag is sung with a great deal of emotion, it can bring rain.











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Vacation Time

  I love going on vacation don't you? There are so many exciting places to visit, with things to do for every type of person. There are places for people who want to relax or go on an adventure. Below are some places I have traveled, that I would recommend going to! 1. Maldives We went to Maldives last summer and had an amazing time. I experienced a lot of firsts there. I went scuba diving for the first time in my life. Although it was not a full experience(the instructor teaching us held on to our oxygen tanks, to keep us from swimming away), we still saw so many amazing fish. There were so many different shapes and sizes along with colorful coral. We saw schools of fish, and they swam in between us. They were so close I could almost touch them. On top of seeing the sea animals we saw an abandoned shipwreck. It was a smaller sized ship compared to the ones in movies, but it was so cool! Another first I had there was walking on a white sand beach. These beaches are completely ...

A Little Bit About Me 2020

Hi, my name is Diya Sudhagar. I am currently eleven years old I have four people in my family including me. I have a little sister named Isha, who is in second grade at Welch Elementary. I also have my mom and dad. An area of interest that I have is singing. I came to be interested in it at a young age, maybe around 2 or 3. My parents enrolled me in Hindustani Classical Music when I was around 3-4. I am still learning now and I have performed  many times.  I listen to so many songs, when studying, eating, car rides, movies, restaurants, etc. I feel just that music is a special part of me.   My talents are reading, imagination, organizing, singing, and dancing. I use my talent of organizing to stay neat while doing schoolwork. I use the talent of dancing to dance with my family and friends when we put songs to dance to. My imaginations used when I just want to daydream/imagine things that aren’t true. For instance imagining…. meeting famous people!!! My reading ke...

My New Youtube Channel!!!

Recently I started a youtube channel! Can you guess what it is about???? BOOKS!!!!! During my school winter break, I spent a lot of time reading, and my sister suggested I make a youtube channel with book recommendations. As of right now, I will only be posting shorts, but once summer starts, I am going to post specific book review videos. It would be awesome to subscribe and like my current videos. Thank you!!! The channel link is below ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓ DiyasBookishCorner