Skip to main content

Should Schools Ban Homework?

 I do not think that schools should ban homework.

“By setting challenging work that will “gently push children out of their comfort zone”, you prepare them for the future, as this “helps towards developing independence and confidence in young children in preparation for adulthood”.” This is good because it helps children develop a sense of independence and confidence which will help them in adulthood. It will gradually push students out of their comfort zone, allowing them to experience more than what they would usually do. 

Also, “In 2013, research conducted at Stanford University found that students in high-achieving communities who spend too much time on homework experience more stress, physical health problems, a lack of balance in their lives, and alienation from society.” While some studies show that homework is good, too much homework can be bad. It can cause stress and health problems.

“Students in middle school are from Grades 6 – 8.  As class subjects require more attention and practice, middle school students get assigned three to five sets of assignments per week. We recommend that your child spend between 45 – 75 minutes per night.” As you move from grade to grade classes will get harder so it is recommended to spend around 45-75 minutes on homework each day. Too little time can cause less understanding while too much time can cause stress. 

BUT... I recently went on vacation and realized a compromise. Homework should be optional. It can be a great way for teachers way to recognize students understanding of work but also a way to review what they learned. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Vacation Time

  I love going on vacation don't you? There are so many exciting places to visit, with things to do for every type of person. There are places for people who want to relax or go on an adventure. Below are some places I have traveled, that I would recommend going to! 1. Maldives We went to Maldives last summer and had an amazing time. I experienced a lot of firsts there. I went scuba diving for the first time in my life. Although it was not a full experience(the instructor teaching us held on to our oxygen tanks, to keep us from swimming away), we still saw so many amazing fish. There were so many different shapes and sizes along with colorful coral. We saw schools of fish, and they swam in between us. They were so close I could almost touch them. On top of seeing the sea animals we saw an abandoned shipwreck. It was a smaller sized ship compared to the ones in movies, but it was so cool! Another first I had there was walking on a white sand beach. These beaches are completely ...

My New Youtube Channel!!!

Recently I started a youtube channel! Can you guess what it is about???? BOOKS!!!!! During my school winter break, I spent a lot of time reading, and my sister suggested I make a youtube channel with book recommendations. As of right now, I will only be posting shorts, but once summer starts, I am going to post specific book review videos. It would be awesome to subscribe and like my current videos. Thank you!!! The channel link is below ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓ DiyasBookishCorner

How To Stay Focused When Studying

 School is very important, as is learning which is the whole point of school. When doing online work or homework for school you have to focus on it. What happens if you don't study for an important test? Most likely you won't get a grade you will be satisfied with. Some tips that I use to keep me focused from distracting myself are.... Stay away from social media(texting, watching videos, using phones, etc.) Taking small breaks Start as soon as possible Don't multitask Have a quiet and clean space to limit outside distractions Offer rewards if you finish your homework ( more tv time, candies, etc.) If you are talking to a friend about homework do not change to unnecessary topics (I only do this once in a while) Choose light music to help you focus Don't stay on the same subject for a long time Write down everything even if you know you will remember them